Wooden Axe YMCA or Noobtown, or town to be named later

Discussion in 'World' started by rickflaire, Mar 28, 2016.

1. TLDR at the end for those with no attention span.

So the new user experience here is less then ideal, at least in my opinion. First you wait for days/weeks for approval, with no real set schedule at the whim of @Matt. There is really nothing we can do about this from what I understand, but it is part of the whole experience.

So you finally get accepted and you log in, and you want to jump into the world and get going. So you ask in chat "hey new here, where do i go to find my one piece of this world". Most people say go east, follow the road, etc. Given the size of the world, not knowing the mods, and not really knowing the rules, it can be intimidating. People are often nice enough to answer questions, but a new user might not want to be so vocal until they are comfortable.

Other times they get answers such as "it's on the forums" which is ABSOLUTELY true. There is a TON of information on the forums, but there is also a ton to learn about /res and shops, and tpa and the cool places to go that are useful, and the places NOT to go (derp). Even though you can read all about it, it's overhwelming, and when you finally get into the game, you don't want to be downscreen, you want to be in the world right?

And when you start scouring the map for a place to adventure out into and claim some land, everywhere you look has a little hovel, or might be too close to something or other, or really how in the hell am I going to get out there. I was lucky that I found a good neighbor right away. But that was after stealing a boat and just going east for a couple of cycles.

So this is not a complaint. This is an observation about my experience, and what I think would be something good to do about it (don't come to me with problems, come to me with solutions!)

Now most of the people on WA are really nice, and I had random people help me out right off the bat with some food, some gear, etc, but that was luck of when i was on, what people were doing etc. In fact, I got some steak that i lived off of for at least a week labeled "Shop69" and I go there first all the time now.

So, what I would like to do is create a starting zone for new players. I'd like to build this as a community build, but if it's just me that's fine too. I'd like it to be a motel like place, where first thing people do is fine a little 8X8 room that they can claim as their own, right off the bat. This room would have a chest, with some very basic supplies (torches/crap gear from mobs/iron tools) and instructions on the wall as to how to use lockette. Also maybe a sign that says "type /sethome" this is now your home. When you find a place to call your own, reset it there by doing the same thing.

There could be a message board that says "what sort of biome you looking for ? Try these res, or hop on the road and go east there is land there...." So the person has a jumping point to say, ok, with very litte interaction i was able to look around, have some basics down, and i'm all ready to adventure into the world.
    There could even be a country store, that has cooked fish on the cheap, with instructions on how to use the shops. Again, I KNOW this is all in places on the forums, but who reads the instruction manual? You know people are going to ask questions, you know people are going to not know what they are doing right?

Just to come into a spot on in the world where it's not so daunting, there is a little help right off the bat, and sends you off in a direction to find your own little spot in the world. And hey you already know you can go to res wood for wood, and wooly for wool, and shop69 for good stuff cheap. And you've probably asked a lot fewer questions along the way.

A good user experience means more people stick around, and more people that stick around the more likely they will become supporters.

So I found a nice ravine but unfortunately it's in the supporter only area. So I'm currently trying to find a new place in the new world near the member eastern border, What I would like to do is build up a simple/rustic/new frontier like starter area, that has a bit of the wooden axe charm and give people that first log in a plan to start with. I don't have a strong design eye, and want to make the place a pretty cool little destination. Hopefully eventually connected to a main road, and that sort of thing.

TLDR: I'd like to build a noob starting zone, with some things to help them understand the server, and move them into a direction of finding their own build site and answer a lot of questions they may have quickly an efficiently so they hit the ground running, and have a great first time user experience.

I've talked to a couple people who think this might be a good idea, but would love any feedback.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. I don't know if there is a welcome center (other than one that is a trap). It's a great idea. Being new can be very overwhelming.

You should consider becoming a brand embassador for Shop69. (Embassadork?) lol

So yes, this sounds great.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. I think its a fairly good idea.
    For food i think just make it free, baked potatoes or cooked fish are probably the most abundant (ive been wanting to do a free potato shop for awhile)
    A central hub for information either on the server on on the forums is needed i think.
    I don't agree on the whole doing it to try gain/keep more players so that we get more supporters.

Tl;dr for me i think its a good idea and i'd be willing to assist you with materials and smelting a ton of potatoes/fish.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Sporkdom

Sporkdom Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    • Like Like x 1

5. well agreed on the food, but the point of having it in a shop for 01ยข or something would be just to show how the shops work.

6. I think i found it when I was looking for info on what to do, but I still think it'd be nice to have a place to go as a starting zone that also answered a few of these visually.
  7. I never actually got shown this as my time as a guest, I still don't think it covers everything a new player needs to know about the server though.
    (perhaps a project for me at some point)
  8. So I'm half way to the red line heading west from East town. I'm looking for a nice plot of land, but if somebody already knows a great place, or finds one before me that would be fantastic too.
  9. I can agree with this too, but I'm just thinking of it as I do with something at work, where you build a better user experience, more people want to use your product, the more you sell.
  10. Hey neighbour. We've talked about this in chat, and you know I'll gladly help out where possible.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Peyton1980

Peyton1980 Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    You can use /res tp pey if you want. There's a portal already there and it's pretty eastbound. It's an open TP and I'll never use that area.
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. bullingju0

bullingju0

Media:
    I think there is something in figuring it all out on your own. Teach a man (or woman) to fish and all that.

We want strong independent citizens, and the only way to craft them is through hard worm and self reliance.

Edit: I meant to say hard "work" here, but hard worm came out and that's ok with me.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  13. Supersnaketate

Supersnaketate Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    the actual welcome center is the spawn museum, a new player is told that when they first join and look at the signs in front of their face saying "newcomer? head south to the spawn museum/info center", as for one east theres is still the old signs in the abandoned post office on the east side of spawn, if they were to head east they'd pass that building and could look in it to see how to join but not much else, but most of the time guests fuck about doing god knows what never actually reading signs that are right in front of their face and heading in random directions, hell even members/supporters cant read signs.

and zfarm is supposed to be the noob center, but people continuously killing off the animals without breeding has scared off @zwiechmann
    so he doesnt upkeep it anymore.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. _Crabwich_

_Crabwich_ Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    There have been several attempts to do this in game and of the forums. If you want this as a project then go for it. It's a righteous cause.

Note that there are still potatoes, carrots, melons, chickens, and wheat at zfarm (last time I checked). The cows were slaughtered by assholes but they could be replaced and rebred to a sustainable level. @RocketTam and I have done this many times in the past. Someone just needs to invest about two hours.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. I'm pro for noob starting and equal advertising opportunities^_^ as some people sell things that some don't but also these ports may help them access areas of the map to get out there and build something of their own.
  16. Peyton1980

Peyton1980 Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    Wonder if @zwiechmann could just turn butcher to false and just sell the steak/leather instead for super cheap. Id be willing to hop on to breed and slaughter if I'm added to perms. *gets looting sword ready*
    • Like Like x 1
  17. So I picked a plot. First Payton had given me a ton of already pre built options, and as amazing as those are, I decided I wanted to build something from the ground up, a bit fronter-like, where there is a small village with a few buildings, and they can then head off on their own.

From what you all have said, perhaps a good idea, but Who knows how useful it will be. I give you (the start) of alexandria. So far four cabins for new folk and clearing out the land to build a welcome center.

If anybody would like to join, I have no real blueprint. Feel free to add what you think would be nice, or even change up stuff I've already done to make it nicer.

Right now my plan is to put in a welcome center of some kind , maybe something gris milly looking, but if anybody has any other thoughts please feel free.

/res tp alexandria.

It's close to the East non-supporter border. Its also not TOO far from Intersnout 95, probably might try to connect it at some point if it's ok with @mapcratic or whoever is in charge of the road.
    2016-04-04_12.54.06.png 2016-04-03_13.48.55.png 2016-04-03_13.52.08.png 2016-04-04_10.24.31.png

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  18. Hey, guys! Glad you guys still visit the farm from time to time. I just logged on for the first time in several months and they really did a job on my livestock! I even had a backup of extras just in case all the public animals got slaughtered but someone must have broken a couple blocks and got into my reserves and cleaned them out, too!

I'd love to keep the farm alive if a seasoned, responsible, member would like to help with the upkeep. I just don't have time to play much anymore.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Supersnaketate

Supersnaketate Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    it feels like there's no point to breeding new animals, if someone is going to tp to a players 300x300 res into a completely protected area just to use splash potions on villagers killing them all (my villagers, in the middle of super.gold, underground, with a public area to use villagers), then someone will continuously kill off all the animals at zfarm cause they know that someone will go to all the effort of re-breeding them, who ever it is certainly doesnt deserve respect, but they'll keep gettign away with it cause theres nothing we can do. and matt certainly wont do anything cause he's never around anymore so that when someone reports a grief he'll get to it in 3-4 months time when the logs have gone far enough for him to say
  20. Some people just want to watch the world burn.

I really just don't understand the mentality of people in games when it comes to shit like this. Even if there were people I don't like here, what's the point of going to their place and messing shit up? In the grand scheme of things, what does that accomplish? Woohooo i created more work for somebody, or I potentially made them sad, yay me?

I know the SSTate says not to, and if you aren't playing anymore, I agree.

Part of me says build it bigger, better, stronger, because fuck terrorism.

Part of me says, shit I haven't had any coffee yet, I'll be back in a bit....
    • Like Like x 1