The Great Origin Railway

Discussion in 'Origin' started by junglemason, Dec 17, 2013.

1. junglemason

junglemason Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    I want one. Anyone else? (ping @Matt) Should the rail converge on 0,0?

It should at least connect cool locations. And it should connect to at least one stronghold.

I have a bunch of villagers (and looks like @siamko does too) and I want to set up a trading post near my base and connect by rail to other locations of interest/sights to see.

The fact that it's basically impossible to create safe passages in the Nether does have an upside: we almost have no choice but to connect the overworld via rail. I like this.
  2. I really like this server a lot, and I plan to stick around for some time and would love to help set up some kind of infrastructure. Now that I have a feel for the mining, I realize that my current base layout is less then ideal. As long as I'm going to pick up and move it might as well be close to something like this so that the ridiculous amount of stone block tnt mining produces doesn't go to waste. If you are serious about doing something like this let me know.
  3. I understood that we would lose this world once a non dev bukkit was released.
    If we want to build the O'Rail, we might want to wait.

edit: But I would love to do this.... Just not twice.
  4. Good luck. Most people are thousands away from each other. Even if you start at 0,0 you've got a massive distance to go before you come across practically anyone.
  5. junglemason

junglemason Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    Ahh, yeah that would be a good reason to hold off. I coulda swore I heard @Matt say we were just losing the world right before this one and that this one is our new forever home. I could be wrong.
  6. junglemason

junglemason Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    Sweet, yeah if this is the permanent world then I am 100% serious about doing this.
    How can we mitigate the risks? It's going to be boring if everyone on the server just hides underground indefinitely and doesn't build neat things topside.

- creeper bombers (maybe elevate the rail? in a way that somehow looks decent...)
    - raiders/plunderers/rapists (I try to make my base inaccessible regardless - wondering how villagers can be protected while still being accessible for trading...)
    - campers/snipers/ambushers/muggers
    - what else?
  7. The only thing we can really do to protect the villagers is to keep a couple hidden brood sows couples. At least they will repopulate fairly automatically.
  8. ConvictedFelon

ConvictedFelon Supporter

A nether rail is not impossible. Netherrack does have a percentage chance of lighting on fire and putting it out by hand does light you on fire... However if you have a couple good picks, a handful of fire resistance potions and can get just below the bedrock ceiling of the nether you could cover a lot of distance in a hurry. As opposed to a 20,000 rail overworld track a 2,500 rail nether track sounds doable. Just don't tell @siamko that the iron would be easy to get. Starting at 0,0 and going 2,500 blocks in each direction with a portal every 500 blocks would take 10,000 rails, 400 power rails, 10,000 half slabs, 200 blocks of obsidian and a lot of work but would make it accessible to everyone within a 20,000 block radius in any direction.
  9. ConvictedFelon

ConvictedFelon Supporter

You could even just make it 3x1 with a half slabbed floor to run instead of using rails or 4x2 with half slabbed floor to allow for horse travel.
  10. junglemason

junglemason Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    I can't believe I didn't think of half-slabbing the Nether for suppression. However, I think pigmen and blazes can still spawn inside the portal frame. That'd be the only risk I can think of (this is what I'm dealing with in my portal - instadeath because the pigman is standing in my portal on that side)

But it would be so much cooler to ride the rail in the overworld... ;)
  11. zombiexm

zombiexm Supporter

It should be @ 0 0. Transfur point to lines south,east,west, north ect. :]
  12. ButtUglyJeff

ButtUglyJeff Supporter

The only issue I see is I believe mobs can spawn on track, and it seems some nether beasts explode in death...
  13. _Crabwich_

_Crabwich_ Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    Here is are my thoughts assuming that these exploits are still working:
    1. Use Ender Pearl to glitch to Nether roof.
    2. Break through bedrock using Dark oak saplings. (This may have been patched or will be soon)
    3. Build safe rail system without obstructions.

I'll test this when I get some time and enough saplings (Doesn't always work in one try). If someone else does this please let me know if it works.

Cheers,
    Crab
  14. Coronus1

Coronus1 Supporter

According to @Matt if you get on the roof of the nether you instadie.
  15. _Crabwich_

_Crabwich_ Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    Oh that's interesting. I'll guess I'll go back to my original plan for a series of pig riding stations.
  16. Goldman_dk

Goldman_dk Supporter

Build a on/off switch on those portals - its easy and u get rid of those nasty spawns.

Edit: A dispenser with a lava bucket to kill the portal, and one with a flint & steel to ignite (I know its rhetorical)!
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  17. siamko

siamko Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    Hmmmm........

Rule of origin is don't connect to the line if your worried about dieing, or destruction. There is no protection just not making things obvious. The more defense you put up the more it attracts the trolls. I am working on getting geared to start a project just like this in the nether. Need to get my crew geared as well.
  18. ButtUglyJeff

ButtUglyJeff Supporter

I'm tunneling at level 5 (well 5.5 after the half slabs) from my portal to Wterbaby's. That seems to be the best for avoiding those nasty lava lakes and such...
  19. zombiexm

zombiexm Supporter

I've started saving up tracks, So whos going to team up with me to start builing out a south line?