Residence Showcase 2013

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Supersnaketate, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Supersnaketate

Supersnaketate Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    @fishinthefog + @bmune001 will have it and its on the side next to ame's sv
  2. fishinthefog

fishinthefog Supporter

Great thanks @Supersnaketate. When's our deadline? Sorry I'm 2 days late on the response.
  3. Supersnaketate

Supersnaketate Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    i give you from when you get the perms to a week after to actually build something
    @Matt has to work his magic with the perms or you cant get started
  4. Supersnaketate

Supersnaketate Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
  5. JackHair

JackHair Supporter

6. I Like to add movada to help me on my showcase. If you can give her permission to plot 10 also that be great thanks!
  7. Supersnaketate

Supersnaketate Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    mmmk that wont extend your time, matt may not do her perms anytime soon
  8. siamko

siamko Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    I have to be honest the whole residence showcase, in my opinion is more of a pain than it's worth. Builds don't translate well to a 28x28 square and on top of that, the constant beating of this imaginary clock made building and reading this thread rather painful.

Also with everyone styles being different, there isn't any visual cohesion. Makes the area between spawn and the bank look like an occupy wall street shanty camp.

I think the idea may have worked better looking back. If we would have made an exhibition hall and had people map out there builds. Using in game maps, give them a booth let them theme the booth and designated a wall (probably the back wall of each booth) to display the maps. This would have brought better continuity and style that does spawn more justice.

As it stands right now. The "residence showcase" is making spawn as a whole look like crap.
  9. Supersnaketate

Supersnaketate Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    yeah im starting to think that way too. but i have one small problem with the maps room, lag. whilst having (for example) 10+ 3x3 maps would be great, i just cannot see it having a good effect on players (who do not have optifine). i would say that if i had optifine at the time the Christmas tree would not have been a bother lag wise, but unfortunately it was a bother and that was only signs and chests not frames and entities.

i think that we'll keep res showcase for a while like we did with the dmall, if it starts to stagnate and become yet another useless area i think we'll start a new approach. I'm really starting to think maybe supporters have no need for a spawn related space, if someone wants a specific res its not like people direct them to spawn anyways. obviosly matt would be pleased having not to deal with perms.

i also have heaps of plans for buildings, maybe something giant and grand like a governmental building that encases the spawn museum, train station and bank all in one whilst still keeping that really nice compass

if in the distant future there ever was to be a new world with a new spawn who ever is building it should aim for a smaller simpler approach.
  10. General_Rookie

General_Rookie Supporter

There are items in spawn that look nice, but there is no purpose or reason for people to go see them. While things like the horse stables, pavilion tents, and train yard look nice, there needs to be some function of spawn still. I understand that you might feel that the showcase area are just empty builds that don't really go together, but that's the same with the rest of spawn. The buildings look nice at spawn, but they are just large empty buildings. I saw it once, but have no reason to ever go back to look again. Much of spawn is very spread out with no directions where to go. The center spawn area is extremely large and doesn't tell you anything. I never know which direction the bank is, or where the information center is. Spawn is still too spread out, with no direction. I really dont care what it looks like from the live map, i just want to know where to go and what to see without having to wander around having no idea what i'm looking for. I think the residential showcase is the best part of spawn so far. Its compact and shows variety of styles and its the only part of spawn that tells members and guests where nice builds are.

Some ideas for spawn -
    1. Fireworks display area (viewing area, as well as the redstone setup to launch the fireworks).
    2. Residence showcase list building (similar to the last spawn building that listed all grinders, farms, shops, arenas, etc. The way Andy ranked buildings by iron, gold, diamond, and emerald was really nice. Every single member should have the option to have their builds listed in a directory. I think this could be incorporated with the showcase. Use the showcase as a residential directory for any member who wants their builds to be advertised)
    3. Sports/game field (this wasn't ever completed on the last spawn but it would be nice if there was some activity center)
    4. Roller coaster (why not, right? something fun that takes your all around the spawn area so you can see)
    5. A rail line to an end portal. (yeah i really want a completely dedicated and decorated rail line to a private End portal. At least one of the three portals should be available for use by all members and guests who don't want to tp to a generic End location. I'm pretty sure Siamko and Flixxor have an end portal that they'd be willing to turn over to the spawn building team for usage).
    6. Villager trading area (generic and small would be enough to add life to some spawn areas)
    7. Swimming pool (shits and giggles but fun)
    8. Music at spawn (press a button and have note blocks play a song. I've got the intro to Star Wars worked out in my creative world)
    9. Noob center (tree farm, cobble generator, chicken/egg machine)
  11. Supersnaketate

Supersnaketate Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    i think @tribal or someone msged me one day to ask if they could turn the stables into a horse shop, told em to msg matt. i never heard from them

i love most of the ideas rookie has given.

game field would be a great idea, we would need "managers" and team coaches, maybe even teachers of how to play the games

pool, im not sure how much it would be used but if it looked anything like @Mr_Cortus and @kireinafujin's new build im sure it'd attract lots of people

villager trading area would be nice, yet again lag comes into the situation.

how many times do people even go to the end for the end. its all about the grinders and they need their tp's cause they are well away from the mainland

we actually have dispensers set up for fireworks in the compass but we don't have any fireworks, maybe one day we could get lots of people to spawn, give em the materials and tell em to go nuts then drop em in hoppers into the dispensers
  12. siamko

siamko Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    As far as a new spawn, I was thinking that we got a new one on the woodenaxe anniversary each year. I would still like to build my spawn entry from last year. But I think I am going to switch up the materials.<----way less quartz.

I am kind of burnt on minecraft atm. So i am actually considering auctioning off my build in the west. I also need to get with @flixorr, if he doesn't want the stronghold anymore.
  13. JackHair

JackHair Supporter

I like all your ideas, but that one especially. WA Roller Coaster!

FTFY
  14. Supersnaketate

Supersnaketate Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    @fishinthefog im going to give you 1 more day befroe you forefit the spot
  15. For my showcase I'm actually building a free horse shop. It will have have all 35 variations of horse colors and one set of donkeys. I will not have mules for the simple reason you can just breed them on your own. I will be supplying a limited amount of free golden carrots for breeding foals, hay blocks to grow them to mature adults, saddles and leads to take them from spawn. It will also hopefully have information on how horses can vary from eachother in health, jump, and speed. Lastly I will have the top best horses found on the woodenaxe map. Hope you all like this idea!
  16. Supersnaketate

Supersnaketate Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    ok im guessing @fishinthefog isnt coming on. he forfits his spot
  17. glt1022

glt1022 Supporter

wonder how long before they're dead
  18. actually im asking matt if he could turn slaughter off on my plot, but if it becomes to much of a problem and people abuse it ill just stop supplying it. Its ment for the people to use and hopefully not abuse.
  19. Supersnaketate

Supersnaketate Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    spawn perms should have both breed and butcher off, dont know if he did anything different for the plots