Opinions?

Discussion in 'Origin' started by otaci, Dec 25, 2013.

1. So what does everyone think of Origin?

I've been here a couple of days now, still a noob I spose. I built a basic place, moved closer to spawn, and have another basic place established. I feel like I can master it, digging deep for my first diamonds was scary but I managed it.

I like some of it, but it just seems too much of a struggle. Sometimes I just want to build stuff, not struggle to survive, but I guess that's what world is for.
  2. junglemason

junglemason Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    I think Origin is (nearly) the perfect counterpart to a Creative mode server. I can come to Origin for a challenge, and I can go to a creative server to just build. World is so lacking in challenge for experienced players that it is almost just Creative mode where you have to spend time grinding for the resources you want.

I bitched a bunch about pigmen so far, but now that I finally managed to kill the one that took all my stuff, and I figured out how to suppress them and trap them for easy killing, it's not as bad. These are things I never had to consider in standard SMP, so I like the new challenge.

I love these things about Origin:
    • no teleports whatsoever
    • no currency or central bank
    • no 1-punch mob grinders
    • sinkholes and cave-ins
    • no live map
    I think not only is it for the extra challenge, but we can build a more immersive experience on Origin. People have to travel to get places.

Things I would add to make it even tougher (more realistic):
    • disable whisper
    • limit breeding of villagers and livestock
    When you limit grinders and infinite breeding, it levels the playing field a bunch.
  3. Matt

Matt Owner

Media:
    This is on the top of the list for features to add to the hard mode plugin. It will happen, just a matter of time.
  4. ConvictedFelon

ConvictedFelon Supporter

I have thoroughly enjoyed the challenge of origin. My only qualm would be the trading. I don't mind the nerfing of the villager trading mechanics however I would really like an honest answer as to what the mechanic changes are. Making diamonds a more valuable commodity within the trading is great however not having any clue on how these mechanics have been changed I find quite asinine. I don't understand why every other aspect of ultra hard mode I can reference through information on the mod but not the trading.
  5. Matt

Matt Owner

Media:
  6. Food supply is what I am struggling with at the moment, I depend primarily on wheat which I use for chicken and cow breeding. The cows are ok (although above comments about animal breeding might change that (just read it, will probably be ok with current proposals)), chicken breeding would work if I could get enough seed but I'm using all the seed just to maintain the wheat field, rarely able to expand it. Producing chickens from eggs is very rare for me.

Have you managed to get a food supply that doesnt rely on hunting everything nearby into extinction and doesn't take up most of your time?
  7. ConvictedFelon

ConvictedFelon Supporter

Am I missing something in this spreadsheet or are there no longer enchanted book trades from villagers? I also just spent over 2 stacks of emeralds trying to get a librarian from his fifth to sixth trade unsuccessfully. I now have a 58 compasses... Seems like a lot more then just "rebalancing" of prices.
  8. siamko

siamko Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    The trades above 5th seem to take a long time. Just the other day we finally got to the last trade with our librarian. But I have very little experience with villagers.
  9. Fishing is worth the time invested now - constant food supply, plus bonuses like enchanted bows and better fishing poles.
  10. junglemason

junglemason Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    I've caught two pretty decent enchanted books so far. Fishing is great.
  11. I've noticed the same thing from farming wheat. I average about a 20% loss on wheat while growing, and and maybe a 10% overage of seeds once I replant the lost wheat. Potatoes are about a 10% loss, but the drops are still low - I average about one and a half potatoes per plot harvested. So far carrots are the best crop. They have a very low loss rate while growing and, after replanting, I still average about 2 drops per plot.

I haven't had problems getting chickens from eggs. If I throw 10 stacks of eggs, I end up with about 30 chickens. I've noticed tat not all chicks make it to adulthood. Some seem to disappear along the way, but this my be a glitch and not a mod change.
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  12. ButtUglyJeff

ButtUglyJeff Supporter

I use wheat to breed cows, and now with my looting sword, I triple my beef and leather output...
  13. mikej1592

mikej1592 Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    Jesus you all are eons ahead of me and even on origin I suck
  14. mikej1592

mikej1592 Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    seriously though I feel so pathetic barely having a few stacks of wood and sand and a few blocks of glass. I actually felt accomplished when I turned logs into charcoal and I find people are already mining diamonds and shit. I guess I cant win in life or in game. wheres my booze.
  15. KyleraRhea

KyleraRhea Supporter

I found a village and raided the fields, replanting what I took after I died twice. It's interesting to play in origin, although easily frustrating. Perhaps in time I will come to enjoy this as I do survival.
  16. Wheat grows much more efficiently when spaced out. Once you have stopped expanding it is still better to cram it all together like normal, but if you are trying to expand your farm (or possibly get chicken feed) it is much better to checkerboard it.
  17. Villages seem like the only place in the desert that crops will grow at all.
  18. mikej1592

mikej1592 Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    there are villages?
  19. ButtUglyJeff

ButtUglyJeff Supporter

^^^ poor Mike...
  20. Coronus1

Coronus1 Supporter

I have also found with wheat if you let the feild grow to near completion (like 90% to maturity or so) then just harnest the whole thing at once I get about 1 1/3 stack of seed (not to mention the 4-5 stacks fo wheat) from roughly 4 9x9 plots all next to each other. The biggest issue seems to be the time it takes for the wheat to grow.

The problem I am having right now is being able to keep enough animals for trading and xp grinding. I am lagging like hell when I get too many chickens/cows/sheep/pigs. Gonna have to expand my base to like 64x64 and put one animal at each corner I think hehe.

Also, I am really thinking about making a Darkroom spawner (I realize it wont be very efficient but anything controled will be a huge help). I really want to be able to do some compact redstone farming and without bonemeal this wont work and with no drops off spawners, well, you get the picture.