Netherforge

Discussion in 'World' started by mapcratic, Oct 21, 2013.

1. mapcratic

mapcratic Supporter

I've opened the Netherforge, located in the Nether at 160,32,-620. This is a massive bank of furnaces built adjacent to a walkway out over a lava lake. Bring buckets, go out onto the walkway (protected from ghasts), and dip in and use geothermal power to fuel your furnaces. For the old timers, the furnaces don't eat your buckets anymore. There's an enderchest available so you can access your inventory.

You're welcome to use the facilities and, if you want, expand the area outside the room if you want to install chests.

To get there:
    /res tp netherforge

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. JackHair

JackHair Supporter

Autofurnaces OP.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Matt

Matt Owner

Media:
    Someone get this man a hopper
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. EP43

EP43

Media:
    Albums:
    You don't get the XP but for any mass smelting, an auto feed furnace(s) is well worth the time savings. They even poop out the buckets if you are using lava. ...but where you gonna find lava in the nether?:D
  5. mapcratic

mapcratic Supporter

Yeah, I do this smelting partly for the XP. I'm not well versed in hoppers and don't know which setup works best, but if someone wants to build it, let me know and I'll turn on build permissions so you can modify one bank of furnaces.
  6. mapcratic

mapcratic Supporter

I went ahead and added 3 public hopper furnace systems. Smelt away, the lava is free!

/res tp netherforge

Maybe we should have a rule that if you stick a sign in front of a hopper station or furnace column, you can leave it unattended for 24 hours. If it's still there after that time, people can loot the contents. This way people can use each other's clock ticks to keep the furnaces going, and people are encouraged to tend to their stuff.

2013-10-23_17.22.21.png
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  7. UNST3RBLICH

UNST3RBLICH

Media:
    Albums:
    The issue might be people placing private signs on the actual containers, or looting the other containers. Which, yeah. Personally I stick to my home forge setup with autosmelting and what not, but this is still pretty cool.
  8. _Crabwich_

_Crabwich_ Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    Kinda kills my plans for a lava shop (free delivery - buckets not included). I guess I'll go back to my original plans for a lawn care/gigolo service.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Matt

Matt Owner

Media:
    Have you not met @Voljub yet?
    • Like Like x 2
  10. _Crabwich_

_Crabwich_ Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    Apparently not. Do I need protection?
  11. JackHair

JackHair Supporter

Won't work, he has ways.
  12. CaptLou

CaptLou Supporter

That's HIS corner.
    And that one too
    And that
    And that
  13. mapcratic

mapcratic Supporter

I removed netherforge many months ago but have been missing it, since it's the most efficient way I know of to smelt stone. Today I located the build and re-resed it. Once again it's available for public use.

/res tp netherforge

You may need to bring your own buckets.

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. mapcratic

mapcratic Supporter

Just bumping this for the new users:

/res tp netherforge

a public smelting center in the Nether (see above).

Bring buckets and you can load them up with lava out in the corridors (safe from ghasts) and use it to power the furnaces. Lava is the most efficient source of fuel we have... 17 minutes of cooking time per bucketful, so it's well worth a look for manufacturing a bunch of glass, bricks, etc. There's 48 furnaces and 3 automated hoppers, but if anyone needs to build a larger bank of automated furnaces adjacent to Netherforge to do larger loads, that's fine.
  15. bullingju0

bullingju0

Media:
    Is there a way to auto-power the furnaces? Ive tried multiple hopper loading systems (coal, summoning satan etc.) But I cant figure out if MC has caught up to my level of automation yet.
  16. GreyMantle

GreyMantle

Media:
    Albums:
    Yes, you can set a hopper to feed fuel into the back (front, or side) of a furnace. But lava buckets do not stack so five (500 units smelt) is the limit with out adding a fuel chest to feed the fuel hopper.
  17. mapcratic

mapcratic Supporter

I think that's the system we have going with those three auto-furnaces on the right side of the photo above. There's fuel chests on each one.
  18. GreyMantle

GreyMantle

Media:
    Albums:
    what! photos? I missed them entirely. How'd that happen.

Thank you, @mapcratic !
  19. GreyMantle

GreyMantle

Media:
    Albums:
    @mapcratic Thank you for making it easy to smelt. Lava corridors and auto smelters are great.

Idee-ers:

A) Entry doors with timers to keep the Pigmen out.

B) I wonder if you can pull a comparator off the furnace to turn on a R/S lamp when it is half full or a series of lamps as it fills up?

No harm in a hopper feeding the ore and another to feed the fuel, just skip the bottom hopper and manually empty the furnace when it gets about half full.

I'm going to research and test (off server) to see if a few redstone lamps can be wired up below a furnace to light up at levels turn, 1st at 32 ish, 2nd at 48 ish and 3rd at 56.

(lava smelts ~ 100 ore while a coal block smelts ~ 80, so empty between 32 to 48 for high efficient smelting and still get your XP.)

Timing is everything so an indicator light would be great!
  20. mapcratic

mapcratic Supporter

You're welcome to expand it with the new equipment. The res doesn't go very far, so you can open up a wall somewhere and fix other things.

I'll add build permissions for you next time I'm on.