Matt... will we ever get another chance....

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by NchantedHoe, Nov 7, 2019.

1. NchantedHoe

NchantedHoe Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    Well, I know it's desperate (sorry @akicogg ) but I need to know.... will you ever give us another chance!

It's been a few years now, but the void in my heart is still real!

This FAKE 'new Woodenaxe" that iud had put up makes me want to barf. There are more rules than there are ingredients in a Dunkin Donuts pie donut!!
  2. PastaNinja

PastaNinja Supporter

I too would like to see Woodenaxe return.
  3. NchantedHoe

NchantedHoe Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
  4. Sporkdom

Sporkdom Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    Wha? Where? ;)
  5. We need a champion.
    We need a man with the will to do what Matt did for us.

We need the good ol' map rebooted from where it was left.

Just found this old pic from 2012 on my cloud.... :'(

https://imgur.com/j5NKDlT
    [​IMG]
  6. Brukenet

Brukenet Supporter

I believe that I have all the old world files and I'm already in the process of migrating my web servers to a new data center; I could easily pick up another dedicated server for hosting the woodenaxe worlds, as long as there were enough donations to make it a break-even proposition (or at least close to break-even). If the interest is real and not just nostalgia, let me know and we can hash out details.
  7. NchantedHoe

NchantedHoe Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    I don't want to be rude, but who are you?? I don't recall you as a player
  8. Brukenet

Brukenet Supporter

I played off and on for several years. I wasn't ever really vocal. I tended to build small castles and keep to myself most of the time. I tried to get team-based PvP going in a few of my castles but it never really took off. Most of my builds were based on maps from old 1st edition Dungeons and Dragons modules.
  9. NchantedHoe

NchantedHoe Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    Well, I can only speak for myself! I think what Matt created on Woodenaxe was extremely special. Only one admin (with exception to akicogg) who never meddled with players, and had clear and concise guidelines - UNLIKE the obscene rule book that iud is claiming to be the new woodenaxe.

If you are able to produce the same thing Matt did on Woodenaxe, I would be more than willing to abstain from my Starbucks treat and donate to a well run server!

Thing is.. are you able to handle US!?
  10. Brukenet

Brukenet Supporter

I was fortunate, in a way; Woodenaxe was actually the first server I ever joined and it ended up being the only one I ever played on for years, until it ended and I started a few of my own. I actually had a complete set of all the Woodenaxe worlds running for awhile as a sort of museum a year or so ago. I agree that it was a special place; I have a ton of fond memories.

I've confirmed that I have files for the worlds that wrapped up on 9/7/11, 3/18/12, 7/8/13, and 4/13/16. I'll start setting them up over the next few days. Hopefully they'll be ready for testing by the Thanksgiving holiday.

As for rules and such, my only rule is that people try to respect each other. I don't like to micromanage things; I'm more a developer than a politician. I'll keep the lights on and I will expect the players to police themselves for the most part.

I'll post back here when I have a working link for test purposes.
  11. Sporkdom

Sporkdom Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    I am by no means saying that you shouldn't do it but a down side to bringing back those worlds is not too many people are going to want to go back to the early versions of the game. I hate to break it to you but it would be for nostalgia purposes. I could be totally wrong though... I have been before! :)
  12. mapcratic

mapcratic Supporter

Intersnout had the Wooden Axe world attached to our Multiworld server for a brief time back in 2017 or 2018 as an experiment, but hardly anyone visited. That fact alone dashed any interest we had in "continuing" the Axe. The world saves are also problematic as they omit the chest contents (if I recall correctly), the inventories, the residence permissions, and the residence tp's, which are huge obstacles for getting old timers playing again; a lot of people wouldn't be able to find their builds after all this time.

Some other issues: the vast majority of the terrain is V1.6/V1.7/V1.8 terrain, which is pretty ancient, and it fills almost the entire inner 30,000 meters. To cap things off, the 100 GB of files are very unwieldly and expensive to host. There's also the issue with past players; the vast majority of them unfortunately aren't coming back (probably due to peoples lives changing, new jobs, new family, etc), and most of the rest would likely commit to just 30 minutes of looking around before disappearing again. Over at Intersnout we decided it was better to focus on the players who are remaining active.

I think for many of us, the idea of having Wooden Axe online is romantic but not really practical. It's too bad, but I think the server shutdown and the loss of all the game metadata effectively closed the book on that chapter of history.

It would be great to see the Axe continue but I felt I should let you know what you're up against, as we spent many evenings discussing this back on Intersnout back in late 2016. If we were able to solve all those problems I think a lot of us would have put the world back online years ago. Sadly I guess sometimes you have to just stick a fork in it and call it done.