Map Wall

Discussion in 'Origin' started by rskrules, Dec 30, 2013.

1. I've made a few in my time, but with the recent update maps are now edge-to-edge, making it look much cooler.
    2013-12-30_22.10.47.png
  2. junglemason

junglemason Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    I love that we can make map walls (and that maps are actually useful on Origin). I hadn't even used maps at all in the past year since the servers had live maps. So far I have started 4 fully zoomed-our maps of Origin in order to plan the south rail line (and connection to my trading post [NOT A TARP]).

I think they updated the algorithms to improve the realism of world generation. Smaller oceans, fewer but larger islands, biome borders making more sense, better defined continents, etc. I could be wrong though.

Is Origin normal size biomes or large biomes?

Edit: I don't like that the zoomed-out maps don't auto-align like the first size map does. But at least that can be done using maths and starting the map at the right coords.
  3. Supersnaketate

Supersnaketate Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    and now they have MORE detail
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  4. akicogg

akicogg Supporter

loving these maps! also, look how swirly my xmas tree looks! :D
  5. Coronus1

Coronus1 Supporter

WTF, how do you make large maps like this? and where I have been for this????
  6. just put them next to each other. It's new to 1.7
  7. Coronus1

Coronus1 Supporter

in item frames or what?
  8. MinerMajor

MinerMajor Supporter

9. Yep, so I guess you can just steal other peoples map, no reason to go to all the trouble making them
  10. Coronus1

Coronus1 Supporter

I have been meaning to try this myself but has anyone had luck with mapping in underground caverns? Also, I am assuming you have to "create" the section of map you want but when you place them on the wall do the areas you have either been and copied in each map overlay or if you miscalculate and have a few blocks not covered do they show up as blanks on wall map?
  11. Coronus1

Coronus1 Supporter

OK, NM watched the above video and was very informational. TY MM.
  12. MinerMajor

MinerMajor Supporter

I think for that last question, as long as you are in the right chunk when you initiate the map, everything should line up. So if you aim for the center of a chunk but miss by several blocks you should be good even if you enlarge it.

Maps center on the chunk, not on your location.
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  13. Supersnaketate

Supersnaketate Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
  14. mikej1592

mikej1592 Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    I made my first map today, finally got a hold of redstone
  15. rofl
  16. Coronus1

Coronus1 Supporter

Yeah, I watched the vid and it pretty much explains step by step. I actually got 2 sections completed the other day. NOTE: It takes a lot of time and danger to fill in the x2 zoom out map so just be ready but when done I should have a 1kx1k area mapped out which will be very cool and useful. Yay!!!!!!! Usefulness of compasses!!!
  17. JackHair

JackHair Supporter

18. zombiexm

zombiexm Supporter

How do you know when you get into a new chunk for map making?
  19. MinerMajor

MinerMajor Supporter

F3 will tell you your location in a chunk, but I don't remember which indicator it is.
  20. Supersnaketate

Supersnaketate Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    i just go by the map. do one then you'll see your arrow then move off the maps range and it'll turn into a dot then its safe to do the next map