How to use the Residence plugin - Self-Serve area protection

Discussion in 'Help and HOWTOs' started by Matt, Nov 15, 2011.

1. JackHair

JackHair Supporter

Thank you Tarqquin and also ZiggyStarduust for posting this here.
  2. But there's no simple way to do it with wooden hoes?
  3. You can use wooden hoes to mark out a spot next to your res then add that area to your res with the '/res area add' command, but it is defined as a separate res area (kind of like a subzone). You can do it this way, but if you want to expand stuff later on it can get really confusing. Just use the typed commands...it's not that complicated and it keeps your res a nice square that is easily defined instead of a series of different sized squares.
  4. Yeah, I actually noticed that, when I tried that "add area"-command. I could add more space vertically with "add area", but not horizontally.

so, what's the difference between area, subzone and residence?
  5. siamko

siamko Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    Area is what you select
    Residence is all the area you own under one "residence name" max 300x300 per "residence name"
    Subzone is an area that you select within a created residence. You would do this if you wanted certain permissions allowed in one section of your residence and not the rest.
  6. aaaaah! ThaNks, mate! That actually cleared it up a lot.

...except, Ziggy Stardust said: "You can use wooden hoes to mark out a spot next to your res then add that area to your res with the '/res area add' command, but it is defined as a separate res area (kind of like a subzone)."

so... kind of a subzone?
  7. Voljub

Voljub

Media:
    Albums:
    "Obviously you need to face the direction you want to expand prior to typing the expand command, and 10 can be changed to any number of block you want to expand it."

does that only work in terms of North,South,East,West? or can I look at the floor to expand downward too?
  8. Yea, you can add a separate area next to your main residence area that is a different sized cube and is still in the same overall 'residence'. I have no idea how it works with overall size limitations. Like I said in the other post, it quickly becomes messy and makes expanding the other way much more complicated.

I think for up and down you do a typed command /res select expand up 10...I haven't tried it looking up and down. I know you can expand up and down...I'll double check when I get back in game.
  9. EP43

EP43

Media:
    Albums:
    I did this looking up, worked fine. I believe I did this looking down too, and worked as well.

IDK what people say when they talk about the charges.....yada yada, I checked my balance before and after, and exactly what was said to be charged was charged.
  10. Voljub

Voljub

Media:
    Albums:
    I risked the coin and tried it out, works fine looking up or down. Its nice, no more "whoops missed by 1 block... guess I need another $10,000..."
    • Like Like x 1
  11. zombiexm

zombiexm Supporter

Does the buy/Renting feature work?
    If so can one rent a "sub zone"?
  12. Matt

Matt Owner

Media:
    the renting system is disabled. you can only "/res give" to someone else
  13. Since it appears residence owners do not have access to the 'admin' flag, is there any other mechanism in-place to allow other players to set flags?
  14. CaptLou

CaptLou Supporter

Mayor flag?
  15. That was our first thought, but it looks like that is for villager protections.
  16. EP43

EP43

Media:
    Albums:
    If there is a way, or specific flag, I would think "trusted true" would enable it. But why would you give someone else the ability to set flags? Before too long you will be asking them, "why did you give Lars_Eh container perms?"
  17. Not all of us have trust issues like that. I build with a small group of fellas that have been building together for awhile now and we've never once had to ask that question.

To be more specific though, we pooled our in-game money to be able to afford a residence over our farms and warehouse. When we initially set it up, we didn't get flags set for everyone who needed them. The non-owners of the res had to wait for the owner to show up to be able to add the missing flags/persons. Not a big deal, just annoying and different from we've been used to.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Matt

Matt Owner

Media:
    I didn't realize the admin flag was disabled by default. It'll be enabled on the next restart.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Much appreciated.
  20. zombiexm

zombiexm Supporter

How would you go "moving" your res?
    Like how do you know how many blocks to mark to move it in another location?