How to use Mumble voice chat

Discussion in 'Help and HOWTOs' started by Matt, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Matt

Matt Owner

Media:
    Mumble is a lightweight, free, open-source group voice chat client similar to Ventrilo and TeamSpeak (but it uses better codecs for lower bandwidth, lower latency, and better quality).

There is usually a good number of people chatting in mumble, even if you don't have a mic or don't want to talk, it's fine to lurk in there just to hear what's going on.

To get started using Mumble you have to...

Download the Mumble Client
    http://www.mumble.com/

Getting Started

Once the installation is complete, you may run the program. The first thing it will do it take you through a short setup process to ensure that your microphone is set up, volumes are correct, and various other things.

Once of the steps will have you create a key file for your client. if you have backup software that runs already, please make sure this created key is saved in your standard backup location. This key is important for advanced functionality, like administration or channel moderation. Your username is also tied to this key. If you lose the key, you will need to choose a different name to access mumble in the future.

You will now be at a screen that looks like this:

[​IMG]

Click on Server at the top-left of the window, and then on Connect to bring up the next window:

[​IMG]

Once you have done that, click on the Add New.. button, and then enter the information as shown in the screenshot below.

[​IMG]

Once you are connected, you will see several channels available to you. The lobby channel is where you will be placed by default, but the main Members channel is most likely where you'll find everyone. Note that anyone can join this server, not just WoodenAxe members, so the lobby and guest channels may be full of other people.

To join the "Members" channel you will need an access token. The access token is "matt". To add this token you navigate to Servers -> Access tokens -> Add .. and enter "matt

[​IMG]

Then just double click "Members" or any of the sub-channels.

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 9
  2. Beholder88

Beholder88 Supporter

FYI I was able to connect using an android client called plumble. Haven't actually talked to anyone yet, but it looks like its working.
  3. I'm surprised a server of this nature even uses Mumble... it's a joke when compared to the likes of TeamSpeak... staff may wish to consider it. That's all. Cheers
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. _Crabwich_

_Crabwich_ Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    TeamSpeak is a better product imo. We use it for the WoodenAxe Ark server shenanigans. I don't think that TS was as mature in 2013 though.
  5. Tibal

Tibal Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    Right... because god damn it... it's so much easier, better, clearer, faster, stronger, sexier to push a button and talk into my headset's mic on one voice chat client versus another!
  6. 7ommy9unN3r

7ommy9unN3r Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    On the ARK server @Matt could enable global voice chat then we would not need team speak... But then everyone in game would hear us plotting, I mean chatting...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Tibal

Tibal Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    Like.... Medium or Large Crop Plotting?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. 7ommy9unN3r

7ommy9unN3r Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    Last night there was a red drop, yes medium...
  9. _Crabwich_

_Crabwich_ Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    A medium crop plot blue print?!!! I'm giving those to people for Christmas presents.
  10. @Matt, @zLunaTiK - care to elaborate on why exactly you disagree? If you've ever admin-ed a TeamSpeak server, you would know it's ridiculously feature rich and vendor compatible/neutral. Mumble doesn't match up by comparison, TS just has it beat by feature-overload and stability - disagree all you want, but that's just a fact.

Absolutely. If I had to coin a phrase I'd say that TeamSpeak is quite the professional grade product, whereas Mumble is not.

I don't think I saw that address... would you mind sharing it? Thanks
  11. _Crabwich_

_Crabwich_ Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    I do not have it handy atm as I'm at work. It's paid for by @7ommy9unN3r for the WA Ark server.
  12. zLunaTiK

zLunaTiK Supporter

Because I've been on these programs for years now. Mumble is just as feature rich, supports 1000s of people, and is open source. We use teamspeak in our competitive BF4 tournament - it's more of a friendly tournament. We use mumble in our FPS competitive ladders and also when I was in a big raiding guild because the information arrives to the other people quicker.

Mumble is extremely popular in EVE because of the amount of people that may need to be on a single service. Setting this up for teamspeak is a pain in the ass - a headache so big I'd prefer to pay someone to do it. Setting up whispers to different channels, groups of people, individuals is spot on in Mumble. We stream music over it through a website that viewers can select the song. This could be done for teamspeak but the quality of music is above that than HD youtube music videos. From the standpoint of, who put more thought into their program, I'd go with those who have contributed to mumble. Teamspeak offers no important feature that I know of that can't be found in mumble.

Personally though, I dislike teamspeak because in almost every server I go in, I find myself speaking at the same time as other people due to the delay - most often, it is worse than the video here. I do not notice this in mumble.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  13. Matt

Matt Owner

Media:
    I run a Mumble server because it's open source, low latency, and low resource utilization. If you value other things then you'll probably run one of the other apps...
  14. While I understand the choice of going with open source, there is the TS3 SDK that you can work with. Either way, I respect the decision.

Maybe, but it's Minecraft... not CS:GO. :)

I think this points to the level of "professionalism" and "polished" UI feel that both a user and admin can have when using TS3 versus the competition. In today's beefed up systems this shouldn't matter much, especially when playing Minecraft.

Overall from an Admin perspective the better ease of use, intuitive UI layout and logical management of users, equate for me to better time management...

Anyways, thanks for the discussion.
  15. zLunaTiK

zLunaTiK Supporter

I can't at all agree with your point. TS3 layout and usability are anything but userfriendly.
  16. Tibal

Tibal Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    [​IMG]

It. Is. A. Voice. Chat. Client. for Minecraft. As Mr. TeamSpeak sales person already stated: this isn't CS:GO
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. zLunaTiK

zLunaTiK Supporter

I'm just seeing how long I could go until someone did ^ this.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. As a non-technical end user, I find them to be almost identical. Even the set up wizard and user interface are the same. The only difference that I have seen is that when I log into TS3, I get dumped into a generic channel instead of the last channel I was in. And no matter how many times I try to change that in settings, it still happens.
  19. I push button and talk. Then I let the button go and listen. Pretty nifty stuff!
    • Agree Agree x 1