Fill water bucket on a Mac? (solved)

Discussion in 'Help and HOWTOs' started by RiverSpring, Jan 14, 2016.

1. RiverSpring

RiverSpring

Media:
    Albums:
    hi there,

I'm guessing this is a Mac specific problem, but I'm hoping there's a solution other than connecting a mouse to my macbook, because I like playing with my keys only (and trackpad for direction and attack).

after crafting a bucket I can get milk from a cow, but I can't fill the bucket with water or lava by using the key that I have assigned for 'Use Item/Place Block' (you don't have right click on a Mac laptop).

any help/tips?

thanks,
    Eric.
  2. Ew. I play on a mac but I use the trackpad... Sorry....
  3. Supersnaketate

Supersnaketate Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    isnt right click on a macbook clicking two fingers on the trackpad?
  4. RiverSpring

RiverSpring

Media:
    Albums:
    supersnaketate: yes it can be, it's one of the default settings.
    racegirl: I also use the trackpad for direction and primary click, but I use the Left-SHIFT for secondary click.
  5. RiverSpring

RiverSpring

Media:
    Albums:
    aaaargh!!!
    I figured it out!!!

in all the tutorials it says you have to go to the source of the water to be able to fill the bucket, but it didn't work for me in a waterfall, a stream, or the still part of that waterworks.
    what DOES work is getting your water from a lake, so if you cut the source of the stream by placing a dam in it, then you can go beyond the dam, which is now kind of a lake, and fill your bucket that way.

after having nailed Milk and Water now, I haven't figured out how to fill the bucket with lava yet.
    the trick of creating a lake first doesn't seem to work, because the lake drains right away...
    • Like Like x 1
  6. GreyMantle

GreyMantle

Media:
    Albums:
    You figured it out? Almost, but not quite.

Try a video search on water source blocks and eternal wells.

or suffer through my explanation.

1) There are three classes of water blocks: water source blocks (data value 0), water flow blocks having 7 levels (1 to 7 in item data value), and water falling blocks (data values 8 to 15.)

2) You can only 'bucket' a source block (true for both water and lava).

Water source blocks are just that, a block that 'looks' like a cube of water (an instant before it spawns 'water flow' blocks). {Lava flows in about 3 levels in over world but 7 in Nether.}

The 'source' stands taller and water flows from them.

3) Two separated water source blocks create a new 'source' block between them. {Lava does not do this}. To be clear, an air block that has water source blocks on two HORIZONTAL sides will become a new source block (does not work with vertically neighbors).

So, if the lava is moving it is not a source block and you can not use a 'bucket' on it.

Look for the still lava.

Note: Ever since the 1.5 update, water source blocks form even if there isn't a solid block under them, as long as there is a water source block under it, so even deep bodies of water can be used as infinite water sources.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  7. RiverSpring

RiverSpring

Media:
    Albums:
    any explanation like that is never a suffering ;)
    the nerd in me likes to know more layers of everything, so thanks a million!!!

now if only my join request would come through...