ChestShops HOWTO - Create and Use

Discussion in 'Help and HOWTOs' started by Matt, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Matt

Matt Owner

Media:

How to create a ChestShop?
    - Place a chest, if you haven't already.
    - Place a sign 1 block near the chest (for example, above the chest)
    - On the sign, write:
    Code:
    ---------------------------

item amount
                price
              item name
    --------------------------
                  ||

(Item name can be item ID or alias)
    First line will be filled in by the plugin automatically.
    Price is a combination of buy and sell price.
    You have to have B near buy price (people buy from you), and S near sell price (people sell to you).
    If you have both B and S, separate them with a colon :
    For example:
    Code:
              Matt
            B 10:5 S
              Diamond
                  ||

means that Matt wants to sell 64 diamonds for 10 currency, and buy them back from you for 5 currency.
    Also, if you put "free" instead of price, it is free to buy or sell

When you finish editing the sign the shop will be automatically created. People won't be able to break the chest, sign or the block the sign is on

USING SHOPS
    Just LEFT-CLICK the SIGN (not the chest) to SELL to shop, and
    RIGHT-CLICK the SIGN (not the chest) to BUY from shop.

DESTROYING SHOPS
    If you want to delete your old shop, simply SNEAK and destroy the sign.

STOCKING THE SHOPS
    You can either open the chest and stock it up, or click on your own sign - it will open chest's inventory.
  2. Some additional tips that have helped me:

Each item in the game has a unique item ID. You can find this by holding the item and typing /iteminfo

For instance, if you hold a diamond and do /iteminfo it will return:

264 - DIAMOND

You can use either the item ID or the name to make the sign. If you use the item ID, the mod will automatically change it to the item name. Some items have unintuitive names, so its generally safer to always use the item ID when making shops.

Some items, wools and dyes for instance, have an additional modifier for their color. This has a number of implications with your shops:

All dyes, including Lapis Lazuli, are called "INK SAC" on your shop signs. This is because they all share the same item ID.

If you hold an actual ink sac from a squid and type /iteminfo, you will get:

254 - INK SAC

Now if you hold a Lapis Lazuli and type /iteminfo you instead get:

254 : 4 - INK SAC

All dyes have the same item ID (254). To make a sign for a shop that sells 1 Lapis Lazuli for $10, for example :

Code:

B 10
              254:4
                ||
    and your sign will come out looking like this:

Code:
              cheracc
               B 10
             INK SAC-4
                ||
    Notice that it says nothing about Lapis Lazuli... This is just an annoyance with Minecraft and the shop mod. Many players will post an additional sign above or next to this sign that identifies it as a Lapis Lazuli shop. You can be creative. For instance, my Lapis Lazuli is in the same area as my other dyes, and I identify it by having a piece of blue dyed wool next to it.
  3. Saving Space in your Shop

I have found a way to greatly compact your shop and fit many more shop chests in one area (it also looks nice)

Here is what most shops generally look like:

[​IMG]

They are spaced like this because you cannot put more chests between them since they will try to make double chests.

You can, however, stagger the chests like this:

[​IMG]

Just place a block between the lower level of chests and put another chest on top of this block.

You can then remove those blocks:

[​IMG]

If you want to get really fancy (and really compact!) You can actually put your first row of chests IN THE FLOOR:

[​IMG]

Word of Caution: If you do this, and you later wish to change your shops (prices, items, etc.) only change one shop at a time! If you knock down two adjacent shop signs, when you try to put one back up, the mod won't know which chest you mean, and it will fail. You will then have to tear down many of your chests to remake your shops. It works fine if you only knock down one sign at a time.

Enjoy!
  4. This should be pinned
  5. mydogiswellhuge

mydogiswellhuge Supporter

^
    what he said
  6. You can also used trapped chests directly next to normal chests. Double or Single.
    Like So:

[​IMG]
  7. This eliminates the need for crazy chestshop configurations, is only slightly more resource intensive, and saves maximum space!
  8. EP43

EP43

Media:
    Albums:
    Any chance of getting a transaction log for ChestShop transactions? Maybe a supporter perk?
  9. Matt

Matt Owner

Media:
    I built this for portal a while back but it's hidden at the moment (i forget why). It'll probably come back at some point.
  10. Does the sign have to be above the chest? Or could it be ON the chest?
  11. It only has to be in an adjacent block area. So, it could be above, below, next to or attached to the chest.
  12. so yes, attached to the chest is acceptable?
  13. Paulrm85

Paulrm85 Supporter

This has been a huge help, Cheers guys
  14. junglemason

junglemason Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    How should I set it up if I want the Sell price to be $0 (meaning, someone can donate materials by selling them for no money to my shop)? Matt, you mentioned this was possible, but any time I try to make the sign say S0, it says the shop cannot be used, even if it has a buy price too.
  15. Coronus1

Coronus1 Supporter

I would think set the sell price to 0.

So:

ITEM
    B 0 : S 0
    Item #

Or something thuswise.
  16. junglemason

junglemason Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    I tried with S 0, and that didn't work. I don't want to use B 0 because I want it to be sell [donate] only. I could do B 100000 I suppose, but I don't want someone freaking out when they mess up and hit the wrong mouse button (but in this case, S 0 still doesn't work).

[man this font is no good at the number 0]
  17. Matt

Matt Owner

Media:
    humm maybe $0 was considered a bug and removed. you could always do $0.01 for a stack or something.
  18. Matt

Matt Owner

Media:
    actually, try the word "free" instead of 0
  19. junglemason

junglemason Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    Yup. "S FREE" did the trick (and no B).