An interesting experiment...

Discussion in 'Origin' started by _Crabwich_, Sep 9, 2014.

1. _Crabwich_

_Crabwich_ Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    With the future of Bukkit and the API unknown, I was wondering if there is any interest in a Supporter only, vanilla server running 1.8. Repurposing the Origin server makes the most sense as this is hardly ever used. Vanilla means there is no Residence or Lockette to protect your things. PVP? Grief control? Who knows? Maybe Matt simple lets us all be grown ups and take responsibility. Maybe we could call it The Wild West and anything goes. It might be fun. Maybe this would be beyond Supporter status; as in you must make an additional donation to play this server. This could help to keep some of the riff-raff out.

Please post thoughts, crazy ideas and ear pics below.

Crabs

@Cryptomeria @Tibal @Supersnaketate @Amelyth @WTFbeccca @Lars_Eh @fiskit_says @Mr_Cortus @NchantedHoe @Goldman_dk @KevynM @RocketTam @glt1022 @Matt @EP43 @ButtUglyJeff
  2. General_Rookie

General_Rookie Supporter

I've always been interested in a true bukkit-less vanilla server, but i dont think it's worth $5 a month (per person) for the WA supporter status. Might as well just rent your own Realm for $13 a month and invite 20 people that you like.
  3. Matt

Matt Owner

Media:
    The problem with vanilla is scalability and reliability. It's fine for a few friends on a realms server, but for potentially hundreds or thousands of people connecting that's a nightmare (even though they aren't on at the same time). No plugins means no rollbacks. No way to find chunks with a million entities, or if you do find them, no way to clear them. No way to find or kill those high-frequency clocks eating the CPU. No way to prevent xray. No way to prevent flying. No way to lower the entity tracking range which cripples the CPU from all the iron farms.... The list goes on.

I will probably put up the snapshot server again, but it won't come with the same reliability and durability as the World server.
  4. _Crabwich_

_Crabwich_ Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    So, you're saying we can do it as long as it's just me and @Lars_Eh if we promise not to breed anything or use redstone?
  5. fiskit_says

fiskit_says Supporter

6. _Crabwich_

_Crabwich_ Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
  7. _Crabwich_

_Crabwich_ Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
  8. Tibal

Tibal Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    <3
  9. _Crabwich_

_Crabwich_ Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
  10. _Crabwich_

_Crabwich_ Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
  11. Teezea

Teezea Supporter

Media:
  12. fiskit_says

fiskit_says Supporter

13. Sporkdom

Sporkdom Supporter

Someone just let me borrow their log in info and I'll be fine.. thanks. ;)
  14. General_Rookie

General_Rookie Supporter

leftout.gif
  15. _Crabwich_

_Crabwich_ Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
  16. ButtUglyJeff

ButtUglyJeff Supporter

I really need to watch "The Jerk" again....
  17. bullingju0

bullingju0

Media:
    left out.jpg But seriously, this sounds cool. I'll stop picking my nose.....
  18. _Crabwich_

_Crabwich_ Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
  19. _Crabwich_

_Crabwich_ Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    and @EP43 ... But that's it.
  20. fiskit_says

fiskit_says Supporter

psst.. Crab, you missed Rocket's guy.. (@7ommy9unN3r )
    we're gonna need him to keep her under control.